Sunday 29 July 2012

The Odd Sock Conundrum

I can't be the only person on this planet to have lost socks in the wash. In fact, it happened to me so frequently last year that my flatmates came up with the theory that at some point during every wash cycle, a ritual was held which involved sacrificing a single sock to the great god of washing machines. Thankfully, it was mostly old ones which went missing, so it didn't matter too much.

Pairs of socks appearing out of nowhere though? That's an entirely different matter.


I found these while tidying up my yarn stash. I have absolutely no idea where they came from, or why I would have bought them, as they're a size too small for me. Still, waste not want not. I promptly got my craft scissors out and started chopping them up to use them for other things.

You see, I'm somewhat clumsy. When I got my last phone, I'd had it out of the box for all of two minutes before dropping it. I'm now super-duper careful with other valuables like my mp3 player, although I still lament the fact that some protective covers can be insanely expensive. The solution? Make one.


Okay, so my seam turned out a little messy when I stitched it up. I don't have much experience of sewing other than repairing a sleeve on my flatmate's jumper once. Still, it was an easy enough job to just sew up the bottom and add a button on the top for decoration (it looked a bit bland without it).


Ta-dah! One upcycled protective sleeve. I'm ridiculously happy about having made that, simple as it was to do so - not only does it shield my beloved music player from bumps and scratches, but I also like to think it looks pretty good too. Your mileage might vary though. :P

Have you ever made something small that you've been really proud of?

No comments:

Post a Comment